How to Take Rivotril?
Rivotril is a brand name for clonazepam, a benzodiazepine drug that is used to treat seizures and panic attacks. It belongs to a class of drugs called anticonvulsants, which are also used to treat epilepsy.
Rivotril works by slowing down excitation in the brain. It helps prevent seizures by blocking the action of GABA, which is an amino acid that sends messages between nerve cells in the brain. When Rivotril is taken with alcohol or other drugs, it can cause serious side effects.
If you have been prescribed Rivotril and would like to know how to take it properly, follow these steps:
1) Take your prescription with you when you go to fill it at the pharmacy so they can give you only what you need and no more than that amount per day or time period (such as two weeks). If there is any question about how much medication to give you for your condition, call your doctor before taking any more than what was prescribed by him or her (or whoever wrote out your prescription).
2) Take Rivotril exactly as directed by your doctor: swallow one pill with water every night before bedtime (about 30 minutes after eating food).
3) Your doctor will tell you how much Rivotril to take and how often. Take it exactly as your doctor prescribes, so you get the most benefit from this medication and reduce the risk of side effects.
4) Take Rivotril with food or within 30 minutes of eating a meal. Swallow the tablet whole, with water or other liquid if your doctor says it’s OK, unless your doctor tells you otherwise. Do not chew or crush the tablet; this could make it harder for your body to absorb the drug into your bloodstream.
5) If you miss a dose of Rivotril, take it as soon as possible unless your doctor instructs otherwise. If it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take two doses at once unless directed by your doctor.
If you are taking this medication for seizures, your doctor may tell you to take it before bedtime so that it will be at its peak level when you wake up in the morning. If you are taking this medication for panic attacks, your doctor may tell you to take it three times per day—once in the morning, once at lunchtime, and once in the evening. In order to take Rivotril, here is more you can do:
1) Take your prescription from your doctor and fill it at your pharmacy.
2) Make sure you have enough time to take the full dose of Rivotril as prescribed by your doctor.
3) If you are using a liquid form of this medicine, shake the bottle before taking it.
4) Drink all of the liquid slowly over a period of 10 minutes or less.
The medication comes in pill form, which you can take with or without food. You should not drink alcohol while taking rivotril because it can increase the risk of side effects.
You should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery until you know how rivotril affects you.